Thursday, September 23, 2010

Peter’s Confession – Messiah of God (Lk 9:18-22)

Peter declared that Jesus is the Messiah of God in answering the question of Jesus. Messiah (in Greek Christos) has the meaning the anointed. In the Old Testament the anointing was done for Kings, Priests and Prophets. The anointing shows that they have a special role in the society. Jesus is the Messiah, the Ultimate King, Ultimate Priest and Ultimate Prophet.

By the sacrament of baptism all the Christians partake in the messianic mission of Jesus Christ by becoming king, prophet and priest. It is a sharing in the three functions of Jesus. We are kings, prophets and priests in Jesus Christ. What does it mean? Is it to rule the world or to condemn others or do offering for others?

I would rather think of our role as priest, prophet and king in a different way, a role to be accomplished towards myself. I should be a king to myself – knowing how to control me. I should be a prophet to myself – giving warning to myself when I go wrong and correct myself to the ways of God. I should be a priest to myself – to sanctify myself through my prayers and sacrifices. Let us be king, priest and prophet to ourselves before entering to the universal dimension of the call of Jesus to be the messiahs of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment