Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A Brother who Sins (Mt 18: 15-20)

1. Our mentality towards Sinner:- We use in our conversation “I hate you” or “I hate him/her”. Is there anything wrong in this usage? I would say yes. Jesus came to the world to love sinners and to hate sins. When I say “I hate you” I indirectly hate the essence of you that is the image of God. Therefore I say indirectly that I hate God. Therefore instead of saying “I hate you”, let us hate the evilness, or the mistakes, or some kind of special behaviors in you.

2. Our mentality to our friends:- We may have so many friends and we spend lot of time with them. What is the most difficult part of the friendship? It is to correct your friend when he/she is wrong. A true friend is the one who has the boldness to say to you that you are wrong when you go away from the ways of God. But how to say that is important. Jesus tells us to respect the dignity of the person when we do the correction. Let us be good friends to each other.

3. Our mentality to one self: - We often use the word “I am sorry”. What should be our mentality towards our own mistakes? Accepting our weakness and forgiving ourselves would be the right approach that Jesus would ask us to do. Accepting our weakness makes us depend on God (like the prodigal son depended on his Father), and forgiving ourselves will liberate us from the bondages of the past life.

Let us be good friends to others and to one self by hating the sins and not the sinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment