Saturday, December 17, 2011

4th Sunday of Advent – Announcement of the Birth of Jesus (Lk 1:226-38)

Courage of Mary

Introduction

- Once a young man approached the retreat master and asked to pray over him for exorcism. The explanation was, ‘I have visions of heavenly beings. It threatens me. I want to get rid of those visions’.

- If an angel comes to my room when I am alone, how will I feel? Mary had the courage to face Angel.

Content

- Mary was the most courageous women of history. She had the courage;

o to stand always in the presence of God; and

o to say ‘amen’ to the will of God.

1. Courage to stand in the presence of God

· The story of the first parents – Adam and Eve – They hide from the presence of God because they disobeyed and sinned against God.

· Sins take away our courage to stand in the presence of God. Since Mary was sinless she had the courage to face the angel.

· Are we in the presence of God? Well known preacher and writer Anthony De Mello in a story on Emmanuel presents a fish. A young river fish happened to reach the ocean. Seeing an older fish it asked, “Excuse me, you are older than I, so can you tell me where to find the thing they call the ocean?" "The ocean," said the older fish "is the thing you are in now." "Oh, this? But this is only salty water. What I’m seeking is the ocean," said the disappointed fish as he swam away to search elsewhere.

· We are always in the presence of God, but we forget or ignore this fact, sometimes for convenience, to do our selfish interests. Awareness is the key to be in the presence of God.

2. Courage to say ‘amen’ to the will of God

· In the first reading from 2Sam chapter 7, King David wanted to build the temple for God. But God said ‘no’ to his wish. David said yes to the will of God and praised God. He had the courage to obey the will of God.

· Mary had the courage to surrender the total self to the will of God, ‘behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word’.

· Courage comes from the conviction that – God is with me, He sets everything for my good, and he will see me through.

Conclusion

- Are we aware that we are always in the presence of God? Do we have the courage to stand in the presence of God? We have to keep the purity of heart and mind in order to face God and make Him ‘my own’.

- Are we ready to say ‘amen to the will of God’ in any difficult situations of life, even at the cost of our life?

- Let us have the courage

o To refrain from gossip

o To stand for the rights of helpless and the poor

o To live honestly

o To abstain from injuring others

o To hold the values of Gospel

o To promote life

o To forgive our brothers and sisters

o To avoid sinful ways of our life

No comments:

Post a Comment